I got Plantains to make avail (I want to try this famous kerala recipe), but I always end up making these chips as my DH loves them as a snack or as a side dish.
One other silly reason i like to do this dish is, i love to cut these thin slices using a knife. It makes me feel better that i can do such a good job. Small things that makes you feel better at home. There are some simple things around you which we can use to make us feel better for the day.
- 1 Raw plantain
- ½ tsp Salt
- ½ tsp Red chilli powder
- Oil to deep fry
- Wash and peel the skin of plantain.
- Make thin slices of plantain with the help of a mandolin / slicer or with knife (The thinner the chip, the crispier it will be).
- Heat oil in a deep skillet (Kadai). Deep fry the chips on both side till they are golden brown. (Be careful not to burn the chips)
- In a pan dump all these chips. Sprinkle salt, red chilli powder and sauté them on a medium flame till all the chips are coated well with the seasoning. Heating the chips the second time without oil will give that nice crispy texture and the seasoning will stick to every chip. Let it cool before storing in an air tight container.
- Serve it as a snack or as a side for sambar / Dal or any gravy curry.