In our house fried rice is a quick meal any time of the day, sometimes we eat it for breakfast/brunch on weekends and in very busy days it satisfies us at dinner time. Fried rice is my family favorite way of eating rice and vegetables.
This recipe is very easy to make as the ingredients are simply stir fried for few mins, that not only retains their crunch but also their nutrition. Cooking with a medley of colored vegetables gives a great color and an immense flavor to the dish. For me,the more variety of veggies, the better it taste.
I love broccoli and started to introduce it to my kids. I am glad, my Elder one loved it, I have to work little more with my younger one.
- cups cooked rice (cooled to room temp)
- 1 small onions cut length wise (optional)
- 1 carrot cut in an angle
- 1 stalk celery cut at angle
- 1 Red bell pepper cut in strips
- 1 cup shredded cabbage
- 1 cup broccoli florets washed and cut
- 10 sugar snap peas cut in half
- green onions chopped to an angle
- garlic cloves finely minced
- Salt and pepper according to taste
- 2 tbsps sesame oil
- 4 dry red chilies or to taste ( for todays recipe, my DH wants to have extra spicy, so I put in mix of dry red chilies and thai green chilies)
- 1/4cup Soya sauce
- Note- You can substitute frozen vegetables instead of fresh
- Heat the wok or a wide skillet to smoking hot, add oil and sauté red chilies(if using green chilies, good time to add them to), garlic for few seconds
- Add onions, white part of green onions, carrots, bell pepper, celery and sauté them for 2 mins on high heat with constant stirring.
- If the pan is wide enough to push the vegetables to a side do so (if not, remove the veggies to another plate) and in the middle of the pan, crack eggs and make a quick scrambled egg and mix well with all the veggies ( make sure the veggies are not over cooked, we want to retain the crunch)
- Add broccoli, sugar snaps, sauté them for 2 mins.
- Add cooked, cooled rice, pepper (if needed) and mix well. Add soya sauce and stir-fry rice till everything is mixed well. Adjust the taste if needed.
- Garnish with spring onions and serve warm.