Any Crunchy-munchy snack or appetizer is welcome on these cold and holiday season. Here is my delicious and super-easy to make spring roll recipe! The filling is made up of lots of fresh healthy vegetables and is one of the best craved vegetarian appetizers. Get your kids to help with rolling them up – it’s fun to do. But even if you’re making them solo, you’ll find these spring rolls quick and easy to make. Excellent as an appetizer, ENJOY!
- 1 package spring roll wrappers (look for them in the freezer section of your any Asian/Chinese food store)
- 1 Tbsp. oil for stir-frying, + approx. 1 cup canola or other oil for frying
- 3 cloves garlic
- 1 red or green chili, minced (optional)
- 1 cup shredded cabbage
- ½ cup finely diced celery (optional)
- ½ cup shredded carrots
- 1 Tbsp. soy sauce
- 1 tsp. sugar
- Remove Spring roll wrappers from freezer and allow them to thaw while you prepare the filling.
- Mix soya sauce and sugar together in a cup. Set aside.
- Place a wok or large frying pan over medium-high heat. Swirl 1 Tbsp. oil around the pan, then add garlic and chili. Stir-fry 30 seconds to release the fragrance.
- Add all the veggies and stir-fry for 2 minutes, or until cabbage has softened slightly add soya sauce and sugar mixture and mix them well until the whole mixture is dried up.
- Peel and separate 3 spring roll wrappers at one time from the package and place on a clean, dry surface. With one of the pointy edges facing you, place about 1 heaping Tbsp. of the stir-fry in the center of the first wrapper.
- Roll it tightly to cover the filling and Fold the sides of the wrapper over the filling, then roll up from the bottom. Pinch the center (if necessary) to create a round, sausage-like roll (not flat). Secure the end of the roll by brushing on a little water.
- Continue rolling in this way until all the filling has been used up. As you work, place finished rolls on a plate and cover with a damp cloth to keep them from drying out.
- Heat oil in a frying pan over med-high heat. Oil should be about 1 inch deep. When oil starts to form thin moving lines across the bottom of the pan, turn down heat slightly.
- When oil is ready, carefully slide spring rolls in, or place them in oil with tongs. Allow to cook 1 minute (or until golden brown) then use tongs to turn and cook the other side.
- Place cooked spring rolls on a clean cloth or paper towel to drain.
Serve hot with any Sweet Chili Sauce as a dip. I served these to my kid with ketchup and he loved it.