This vegetable is abundant in my back yard and there are always numerous ways to cook it, of all those, I like this simple stir fry we call it vepudu.When ever I make this dish, I remind my brother and SIL as it is one of their favorite dishes.
My husband likes all my dishes and he adores more when I cook this stir fry with some crunchy nuts ( even though he don’t say it, if he goes for a third serving, I can tell that) like peanuts and cashews. Peanuts for my husband and cashews for my son.
Okra has a sticky texture when cooked, so, it is best cooked in a wide skillet to reduce the sticky or gooey texture.
Adding a tbsp of yogurt or lemon juice will reduce the stickiness of okra.
- 25- 30 bendakaya / bhendi /okra/ ladies finger
- 1 small onion, finely chopped ( optional)
- 2 garlic cloves chopped
- 2 dry red chilies
- 1 tsp each of mustard seeds, cumin seeds, urad dal, channa dal
- 1 tsp red chili powder
- pinch of turmeric powder
- 1 stalk of curry leaves
- salt to taste
- 2 tbsps oil
- 2 tbsps roasted peanuts
- 10-12 broken cashews
- Wash the okra, dry them (place this on couple paper towels), chop the tip and tail ends. Chop into 1/2″ pieces.
- Heat oil in a wide skillet. Add the mustard seeds, let them splutter, add the cumin seeds, urad dal, channa dal, garlic, dry chilies, turmeric powder and let them brown. Add the curry leaves, stir them for a few seconds.
- Add nuts, let the cashews brown a little bit. Add the chopped onions (optional) and sauté till transparent.
- Add the okra, mix it well and sauté on medium heat for 5 minutes with lid closed, stirring occasionally to avoid burning.
- Add chili powder, salt and saute till the okra turns soft.
- Once okra is soft, saute okra for 3 more min without lid. Adjust the taste accordingly
- Serve hot with steamed rice.