This is an Andhra lip smacking snack and a popular traveling finger food. The weather is gloomy and raining, so, I thought it is a perfect time for this savory snack. Crunchy munch with a of hot tea is a perfect combo on a rainy day.
- 3 cups Channa dal
- 10 Green chilies
- 1 ½ inch Ginger chopped
- 3 Garlic cloves (optional)
- 3, 1 inch cinnamon stick (optional)
- 4 Cloves (optional)
- 1 medium Onion
- ½ cup Coriander leaves chopped
- Hand full of Curry leaves chopped
- Hand full of mint chopped
- Salt – as required
- Soak channa dal for 3 to 4 hours.
- Grind it coarsely with green chilies, ginger, garlic, and salt. (grinding in small batches by just sprinkling water gives perfect texture and makes the grinding easy too)
- Chop onions into small pieces, also chop coriander leaves, mint and curry leaves.
- Add all the chopped ingredients including cinnamon and cloves to the ground channa dal. Mix all of them together.
- Heat oil in a deep dish.
- Take a small amount (size of lemon) of batter and flatten it with your palms on a plastic sheet / wet paper towel .
- Drop this into oil and fry till golden brown.
- Serve hot with ketchup, coconut chutney or ginger chutney.
Note- I grinded to a smooth texture for my kids. Back home, we usually grind it to a coarse texture or some times we will take a handful of soaked channa dal to a side and grind the remaining to a smooth paste and add the seperated soaked channa dal to the this smooth dough to get that more crunchy nice texture.