As the name says it all, grill cheese sandwich is a simple treat made up of two slices of bread with cheese melted in between. The sandwich may be grilled for a fancier look, but, it is mostly pan fried. Any type of cheese and any type of bread will do.The grilled cheese sandwich is obviously served hot; however its ungrilled counterpart, the cheese sandwich, can be served cold. Often simply a sandwich made from simple bread (sometimes buttered) with cheese set between, the cheese sandwich is a tasty alternative.
Due to its superior melting factor, American cheese is the most popular cheese chosen for a grilled cheese sandwich. Cheddar and Swiss take second and third places. But don’t follow the crowd, follow your taste.
This is one my son favorite breakfast item.
- 2 slices of Sandwich bread
- 1 American cheese slice (use your choice of cheese)
- 1 tsp of unsalted butter
- Spread butter evenly on one side of each piece of bread.
- Place American cheese slice(s) on the side without butter. This gets the cheese slice between the 2 breads
- Heat a skillet or griddle over medium heat and place the sandwich with the butter-side out.
- Cook the sandwich for 2 to 3 minutes per side, or until golden and the cheese is melted. Serve hot.
Grilled cheese sandwich goes excellent with potato chips or French fries.
This is a Kids all time favorite and a great evening snack on cool days.
- 3 large potatoes cut into strips (russet potatoes are recommended, but i used the red potatoes, came out great)
- Oil for deep frying
- ¼ tsp Salt
- ½ tsp chili powder
- Cut the potatoes into strips and soak the potato strips in cold water for at least .30 min at room temperature.(Soaking is key—this removes the starch, keeps the potatoes from sticking together, and eliminates the sugars that prevent the potatoes from achieving maximum crispness.) Drain well and pat dry with paper towels.
- Heat oil in wide pan and fry the potato strips in hot oil until golden brown and tender.
- Drain the homemade french fries on paper towels then keep warm in the oven while frying remaining batches.
- Take out all the French fries and season with salt and chili powder. ( alternatively, you can use fresh ground black pepper also)
Go ahead, make some at home, and munch on them without feeling guilty.