One of my family favorite “Eggplants aka Vankaya aka brinjal aka Aubergine” is a must for any special occasion, be it a simple get together or a lavish wedding, egg plant holds a very special place in south Indian community.
The weather is getting quite chilly and the earthy ginger gives an extra boost.
This is a very Quick and simple eggplant stir fry, the key to this recipe is a blend of ginger and green chili that gets the best of both ginger and eggplant (vankaya).
- 7 medium long egg plants, cut into an inch long pieces
- 1 medium onion chopped
- 3 garlic cloves
- 11/2 inch ginger piece
- 7 green chilies
- 3 tbsp fresh shredded coconut
- ¼ tsp turmeric powder
- 1 tsp red chili powder
- 3 tbsps oil
- salt to taste
- 1/2 tsp mustard seeds
- ½ tsp cumin
- 1 stalk of curry leaves
- Make a paste of ginger and green chili before hand.
- Heat oil in a skillet, add mustard seeds and let them pop. Add cumin, curry leaves, turmeric and onions and sauté till the onions are translucent
Add the eggplants (brinjals) and stir fry them for 5 mins without lid, keep stirring in between to prevent from burning or sticking to the pan.
- Add the ground ginger-green chili paste and combine well. Sauté without lid till all the ingredients are well cooked.
- Add red chili powder (if needed) and cook the curry till the eggplant pieces have cooked completely and turned soft.
- Add shredded coconut and saute it for 1min.
- Serve it with steam rice and a dash of ghee.