Rasam is one of the comforting foods in every kitchen. In some parts of south, no meal is done without rasam. Instead of having a plain rasam, let us make it more healthy by adding carrot and make it a more kid friendly rasam with that hint of sweet from carrot.
- Carrots peeled and roughly chopped
- Tomato ( Vine ripe tomatoes or any heirloom variety that is tangy) roughly chopped.
- 3 cups Water
- 1 inch Tamarind(Puli) or 1 tsp Tamarind pulp
- 1 tsp Rasam powder
- 1 tsp Pepper powder
- salt to taste
- Coriander leaves for garnishing
- 1 tsp sugar / jaggery
- 1 tbsp Oil
- 1/2 tsp ghee (optional)
- 1 tsp Mustard seeds
- 1 tsp Cumin seeds(Jeera)
- 3 garlic cloves (crushed)
- 5- 6 Curry leaves
- 1 Dry red chilly
1)In a pressure cooker, add tomatoes, carrot, salt, 3 cups water and let it cook for 2 whistles.
2) Heat oil and ghee in a sauce pan. When the oil is heated, add garlic and saute it for a min. add mustard seeds, when they splutter, add cumin, curry leaves, red chilly and cook on medium flame for 2 mins.
3) While the tempering is cooking. open the pressure cooker and with a hand blender, make a smooth sauce of tomato and carrot.
4) Add this smooth sauce to the tempering. Add tamarind paste, rasam powder and pepper powder. Adjust the taste as needed, add sugar or jaggery and let it cook for a good boil.
5) Once the rasam started to boil. Turn off the heat and garnish with chopped coriander leaves and close the lid to let all the aromas stay in accord.
Serve it with steam rice, mudda pappu ( plain boiled dal) and papad on the side. Simply delicious and very comforting during winter or on a cold flu day. With Added carrot, it has more nutrition than a regular rasam.